We needed a quick easy meal…
…that would last us several days on our crossing to Puerto Rico. The meal that saved our days? Taco cups. They are simple to make, filling and easy to pop in your mouth when you need a quick bite. Did I mention they’re delicious to? I mean, who doesn’t like tacos??!
These little babies were a spur of the moment fix before we left. We had made tacos the night before and I knew I wanted to use our leftovers, but there’d be no way we’d be able to make tacos while the boat was rolling around. That’s when I remembered some delicious mini tacos my friends Sarah and Jess had made for me once. So. Good. (Check out their Instagram @totie_theservicedog. Hi guys!)
Anyway, I figured I could do the same thing. So I did.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat cupcake tin lightly with oil (I use coconut oil in a spray can from Trader Joes)
- Create tortilla cups for your taco stuffing. This part is a little tricky, but once you master your first cup, the others are easier. Basically, do you’re best to fit a tortilla into a muffin mold. Do what works for you. I had large tortillas and standard sized muffin cups, so I cut my tortillas in half and folded in the edges to fill the cups all the way around. The tortilla is the vessel that will be holding all of the yummy taco goodness, so you want to make sure there are no holes and that you create a nice base to fill with taco meat(or whatever you’re using). If there is a small hole it’s not the end of the world, you just might lose a little filling. No biggie.
- Make your filling. If using leftovers like I did you don’t have to worry about making the stuffing. Mix taco meat, rice and beans together (or whatever you want to fill the cups with) and spoon into tortillas.
- Place into 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until the tortillas are golden brown and crispy.
- Top with salsa, cheese, sour cream or any other toppings you prefer. Eat directly or place in fridge for quick eating later (that’s what we did, and they are really good cold with some salsa!)
- If you use a full 1lb of meat, you’d easily get 12-15 cups, if not more (depending on the size of your muffin pan). With left overs, we ended up with nine taco cups.